HDfury.com - Converting and empowering A/V signals like no others! Forum Index HDfury.com - Converting and empowering A/V signals like no others!
HDMI to Component, HDMI to RGBHV, HDMI to DVI-D, HDMI to HDMI.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hair pulling!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HDfury.com - Converting and empowering A/V signals like no others! Forum Index -> HDfury support forums [Archive]
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Demonmeister

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Hair pulling!!! Reply with quote

Hi gusy,

Really hoping you can all help as going insane!!

Basically (a long story), my HDMI port on my Samsung PS50C7-HD tv has never worked, but only realised this recently when I tried to plug stuff into the HDMI port. I have had the TV 2 years and I'm trying to sort this out to get it repaired.

The TV has component inputs and a VGA socket.

I've bought a HD Fury to connect my SKY HD box to the TV.

I've currently got it connected like:

SKY HD>HDMI to DVI>HD Fury>DVI to VGA>TV

When I do this, my 'PC channel' on the TV states "Mode not supported" and I get no picture.

I connected my laptop up and set the resolution to 1280x720 and it displayed on my TV fine.

Why can't I view SKY HD on my TV??

Naturally when I get the HDMI fixed (if!!), then it won't be an issue, but I can't understand why SKY HD won't let me see a picture..

The blue light is on the HD Fury so I know that's working ok and I can play the Xbox 360 and PC through the VGA socket on the TV without issue, so I know it's not the VGA socket at fault...

Any ideas??

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
AnalogRocks

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd bet your TV won't handle 1280x720p 50 Hz
Demonmeister

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:

This is excerpt from the manual:

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/3663/samungspecs.jpg

Does this help?
AnalogRocks

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it does...

See the 2nd to last entry

1280x720 59.855 and 44.772?

This is 720p 60.

You'll need a scaler.
Demonmeister

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
yes it does...

See the 2nd to last entry

1280x720 59.855 and 44.772?

This is 720p 60.

You'll need a scaler.

Ahh....bugger...

Oh well....I'll get a scaler...no idea of what to get though..

Anything I need to be looking for in particular?

Thanks for the help so far..

Smile
AnalogRocks

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3941013&CatId=3482

50Hz/60Hz conversion, if the input is 50Hz or 60Hz, you would be able to manually select either one on the output, perfect for customers who have USA TV's in Europe or other way around(PAL/NTSC)
macgyver655

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demonmeister wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:

This is excerpt from the manual:

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/3663/samungspecs.jpg

Does this help?

Do you have a full copy of that manual? I'm getting conflicting info on that model. What country are you in?
Demonmeister

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, yeah I do have a full copy of the manual...

I know that the easiest method would e SKY HD>HDMI>TV, but as my HDMI port doesn't work, I've had to go down the VGA route for now..

What part of the manual would you like me to look at?

Any other scalers that are a bit cheaper as I could buy a new plasma for that....I only need it to work for one device (Sky HD)..

Cheers
AnalogRocks

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See if anyone here has a used HD scaler for cheap maybe.
macgyver655

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Demonmeister"]Hi, yeah I do have a full copy of the manual...

I know that the easiest method would e SKY HD>HDMI>TV, but as my HDMI port doesn't work, I've had to go down the VGA route for now..

What part of the manual would you like me to look at?

Any other scalers that are a bit cheaper as I could buy a new plasma for that....I only need it to work for one device (Sky HD)..

Cheers[/quote

Well I found a copy almost the same as yours and found this......

This shows how Pal is supported. I also found this on Sky's site and it applies to your model. How do youknow the HDMI doesn't work? Have you tried various sources?

Sky.com:

"Flashing/flickering black and white picture on Sky channels
If you are seeing a flashing or flickering black and white picture on your TV screen, please try the following procedures in turn to resolve the problem. You might want to print this help guide out if you're not currently near your Sky equipment.

Connection Check procedure

1. Switch the set top box on to standby (if you cannot do this, don't worry - just continue with the rest of the process):
If a cordless telephone is in use and is connected to the same socket as the set top box unplug the set top box plug only.
This process will stop all the recordings currently in progress and reboot the box.
If a recording is underway they may wish to consider doing this after the recording has completed.
If this is a Sky+ box or a Sky HD box, wait for 30 seconds to allow the hard disk to stop spinning.
2. Switch off the power supply or remove the plug at the mains socket and ensure that there are no lights illuminated on the front panel of the set top box.
3. Switch the power supply back on at the mains. When the red light appears: Wait 30 seconds is you're using a standard Sky digibox.
Wait 60 seconds if you're using a Sky+ box.
Wait two minutes, 30 seconds if you're using a Sky+HD box.
4. Press tv then sky on your Sky remote control.
If you see a message on your TV screen which says "To use the full range of interactive services please ensure that an operating telephone line is connected, press backup to return," there may be a problem with the telephone connection to your Sky box. Please see our Phone line problem help guide once you have completed this procedure.
If you see a message on your TV screen which says "No Satellite Signal":
- Press tv guide on your Sky remote control.
Highlight All channels and press select
After a few seconds the listings should appear as normal.
When this message disappears, press sky to return to normal viewing. You may see a message on your TV screen which says "Searching for listings," then Channel 998 (the welcome channel) should appear.
Tune to channel 105. If you see a message on your TV screen which says "Insert your Sky viewing card," remove and re-insert your viewing card into the slot marked Sky viewing card with the arrow facing into the slot and the gold chip facing downwards.

Known Issue with Samsung TVs:

Feedback from customers and engineers has identified a problem with certain Samsung TV sets displaying intermittent black and white flashing images when used with a Sky box. Samsung screens affected by this problem are:
LE**R71BX
LE**R71BXH
LE**R7*BDX
PS42C7S(H)X
PS42Q7HX
PS42E7*HX
PS50C(Q)7HX
PS42C(Q)7HDX
PS42E7*HDX
PS50C7HDX
Samsung have identified a fix to this problem - please consult your manufacturer's guide or search for Samsung on the web to find their contact details and ring Samsung to report the issue. "
AnalogRocks

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaaaa HDMI is the best Rolling Eyes
macgyver655

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
Yaaaa HDMI is the best Rolling Eyes

Yea, its amazing how many devices this port doesn't work correctly on, isn't it? Smile
Demonmeister

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know HDMI doesn't work as I've tried connecting a variety of devices to the HDMI port without success.

Items tried are:

Laptop
PS3
SKY HD

All of these items work no probs on my father-in-law's TV without any problem.

Called Samsung and told them that I've never used HDMI since I bought the TV, but now appears this port is faulty. Thier reply? "Out of warranty. Sorry."

The rest of the TV works fine, just the bloody HDMI port!

Sad
AnalogRocks

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Write a letter to the head of customer service for your region. I had to do that with Samsung to get a faulty tube replaced in my TV. In the end they upgraded me to the next years TV.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HDfury.com - Converting and empowering A/V signals like no others! Forum Index -> HDfury support forums [Archive] All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: